Thursday, January 1, 2009

Why no pictures you may be wondering. Isn't that why we are tuning in??

Well, if I had I camera I would post them. My first day in Xela was not a good one.

Markets are not the place to be with a backpack (day packs or otherwise) I know this but found myself in the situation. Thinking I had nothing but books and a water bottle I didn't switch it to the front. . .

Enter 3 foot tall Guatemalans who boxed me in so I literally could not move for what felt like several long minutes . . . freaky as a movie where you are about to get eaten by dessert creatures!

Upon leaving the market my pack was open (duh) and a few hours later I realized my camera had been in the pack when I was accosted by malnourished Guatemalans. (They really were about 3 feet tall!!)

Maybe I deserved it for my stupidity (at least I have travel insurance) but it still sucks hard and was a blow. Police reports are being filed and a new camera a being sought.

Xela has many aspects of a depressed suburb. More than anywhere else it reminds me of Metarie LA but with dirt streets. Metarie is a suburb of New Orleans where Kiet used to live - actually I think a lot of Metarie's streets were also unpaved. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment