Monday, September 14, 2009

World Wide Open

My backs are packed. I have come and gone from the relative calm of Hawaii. Now it is time to transport myself from the familiarity of Whidbey Island, depart from my current state of homelessness in Seattle, and nest like a boobie in the rare and treasured Galapagos Islands.


For the next three months I will be residing at Hacienda Tranquila – a 50 hectare dairy ranch in the highlands of San Cristobal Island. In addition to cows (which may or may not be a side note…) Hacienda Tranquila’s main purpose is community tourism and volunteer work. Their activities focus on the people of San Crisobal Island (there are 7,000 residents) rather than the endemic wildlife which gets so much play. After all, did any of you imagine I’d be staying on an anthropogenic dairy farm while in the Galapagos??


While it is true that I recently found out the specifics (dairy ranch and highlands rather than the beach for instance) this position puts me exactly where I want to be. Which is organizing and supervising the ‘actual’ volunteers (cuz I’m getting paid??) and then reporting what they do. I basically inadvertently applied to a position that has set me up as a volunteer coordinator. Which is kinda what I wanted my ‘big girl’ job to be.


Also in this particular setting, I’ll probably get to play along with the volunteers by planting trees, growing seeds and maybe pop my head in some schools if I am lucky! So far I have been very, very lucky…


-Shala


PS, They also grow coffee on the ranch. Maybe this trip there will be something decent to drink in the mornings with my fresh and yummy milk… Please someone else want milk so I can reap the benefits without waking up at 4am.


Wish list: Either decent coffee and no milk, or milk to cover up the low-grade caffeine I have become accustom to in Ecuador.

No comments:

Post a Comment