Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Life Changes




Sometimes things that are good go bad, then they go really bad, and you question everything, like who you work for, if what your doing has value, if you are getting any return for the daily trial of working for someone you do not trust and who is not respected by the community. Then you leave, move to a place where it is either sunny or sunny and pick up work with people who almost scare you because of how interested they are in what you have to say.

This is the reality of my past week. To be honest, it started long before the reputable biologists of Charles Darwin dropped their ties with Hacienda Tranquila because of organization’s the lack of clear direction and volunteer guidance. No, I would say it started early on when I realized one of my primary job functions was to manage my manager - man whose primary interests in life are surfing and chasing women. His role as “Activities Coordinator” (and generally being in charge since the owner of Hacienda Tranquila is in AMERICA getting his Master´s degree) is pure nepotism. My role was to tell him what needed to be done and then tell him four more times.

It was a little hectic, somewhat interesting, biologically questionable, long term impacts completely unknown, and ultimately I had no power to make real improvements - other than sending emails and finding mini-solutions with the new volunteers… things that would likely end when I left.

Therefore when the biologists cut their ties I left too. While I believe in change from the inside out, I wasn’t going to waste anymore time trying to fix an organization that didn’t want to be repaired. Now I am literally basking in the sun’s rays and spend lunches at the beach.

I moved into the cutest apartment house / hotel called Casa De Nellie where many of my other volunteer friends live, it reminds me of Melrose Place but without the pool or drama. The upstairs terrace is fabulous!!

I picked up some projects with the Charles Darwin Foundation, who have several members that are fascinated by permaculture and are interested in my input. There is a small university here and I am also helping with some field studies. Looking for whales (from shore), counting sea lions (we have a very healthy population!!) and snorkeling with sea turtles (no joke!) are the three projects I’ll be helping with. Basically I am doing a range of legitimate, worthwhile and WICKED COOL stuff for the next month and a half.

I am pretty sure this is what they call “living the dream”.

Photos: New home, old boss standing proud with lichens on his face. Insert cus words here.

3 comments:

  1. Which mountains are those in the background?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is one of the other islands showing up in the backround... Not sure which one, probably Santa Cruz or Santa Fe -- but i´m not sure. Might even be EspaƱola, i always have trouble with orientation in the hills.

    not to be a brat, but around here we have volcanos not mountains...
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oi! That sounds like a trial, glad you are adapting.

    ReplyDelete